A speedy spread great rubbed on some BBQ lamb, or just scooped up by some crostini.
500g black pitted olives
15g Gentlemen’s Relish
Half a bunch of parsley
40ml olive oil
Stick it all in food processor for 2 minutes. That’s it.
ALL THE SMALL THINGS
30ml vanilla vodka
15ml St Germain elderflower liqueur
1″ piece cucumber
15ml elderflower cordial
25ml lemon juice
10ml tonic water
Muddle the cucumber in the bottom of a shaker. Add all the other ingredients and shake hard with cubed ice. Strain into a frozen rocks glass without ice and garnish with cucumber slices.
It’s not a dish we see all that often, but American-style creamed corn makes a great friend to smokey meats – rich but not too much, and just a little bit sweet. And it’s crazy easy to make.
4 banana shallots
5 cloves garlic
1 tin sweetcorn
750ml chicken stock
500ml double cream
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and sweat the finely chopped shallots and garlic.
2. Drain the tin of corn and add to the pan. Add the chicken stock and cook to reduce by 3/4.
3. Add the double cream and reduce until thick. Finish off with a quick blitz from a hand blender or in a food processor.
Something to hot-up grilled fish or chicken.
SUN-BLUSHED TOMATO VINAIGRETTE
2 tbsp sun-blushed tomatoes
1 tsp lemon juice
11 tsp red wine vinegar
Pinch chopped chives
Pinch chopped parsley
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
200ml olive oil
Blend all the ingredients together then add the olive oil. The dressing should be split.
BETTER WITH BEER
What’s not improved with a dash of ale? Some Innis & Gunn makes a very welcome addition to our favourite Italian classic, the Negroni.
25ml Campari25ml Dubonnet
20ml maple syrup
top up Innis & Gunn
Stir all ingredients together in a crystal tumbler with lots of cubed ice. Garnish with a big piece of grapefruit zest.
For the poussin:
Marinate a spatchcocked poussin in harissa for at least a couple of hours. Poach in chicken stock, and set aside to cool. Grill or BBQ for a minute each side just before for serving.
The salad-y bit:
Bulgar wheat – steeped in hot chicken stock & then chilled
Sautéed aubergine & red, yellow & green gepper
Handful of chopped rocket, mint & parsley
Pinch of toasted sumac
Serve with coriander cress & cumin yoghurt
SPRING IN YOUR STEP
This is the colour ‘spring green’ in juice format – fresh and healthy and reviving even on those extra grey and depressing days that are more akin to spring than the nice ones.
1/2 a kiwi
1″ chunk of cucumber
25ml elderflower cordial
50ml apple juice
Chop the fruit, then muddle it in a glass. Add the cordial and apple juice, fill with crushed ice and stir it up real good.
1 watermelon, peeled & chopped in 1″ cubes
250ml white wine vinegar
250g caster sugar
250ml white wine
200ml vegetable nage
3 tablespoons pickling spice
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
A sprig of thyme
A sprig of rosemary
4 cloves garlic- peeled & left whole
1. Wrap the spices, herbs & garlic in a cloth and tie securely
2. Reduce the white wine vinegar, wine and sugar by half, add the vegetable nage and the spice bag. Bring to the simmer.
3. Leave to cool – remove the spice bag.
4. Add the watermelon to the pickling liquor and bring back to the simmer. Leave to macerate.
5. Serve with samphire, goat’s cheese and finely chopped mint.
We make you pancakes every day of the year, but when a day dedicated just to them (not quite) rolls around, we’ll make you even more. And if that wasn’t enough, we’ll even tell you how to do it yourself.
120g baking powder
950g plain flour
110g caster sugar
2 tsp salt
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Add the wet ingredients at little at a time until just mixed – don’t over mix or the pancakes will be chewy.
3. Leave to rest for 5 min.
4. Heat some vegetable oil over low heat in a non-stick pan, and then wipe out with a paper towel.
5. Spoon some mix into the pan and cook until just set.
6. Flip and cook ’til nicely golden on both sides. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
HONEY BERRY SOUR
To continue easing out of
our detox, we’ve opted for
our Honey Berry Sour.
Chock full of berry goodness
and some honey essence to
smooth and soothe.
25ml Lemon Juice
Garnish with a lemon twist
and blackberry. Shake &
Pour Over Crushed Ice.